Doing research online? Want good results? The following links are to proprietary databases with professional content. Please note that some databases require a library card to access from home.
Don't have a library Card? Apply online for an eCard and access the library's electronic materials such as eBooks, digital magazines, databases, and more. eCards will only be valid for electronic materials until valid photo identification and proof of current address is presented in person at the Barberton Public Library or Community Health Branch. Learn more about eCards.
Books and Authors
- NoveList Plus: Find specially crafted book reviews, book discussion titles, readalikes, and more.
- Ancestry Library Edition: Ancestry Library Edition provides easy access to more than 4,000 genealogy databases with a single search. Coverage focuses primarily on the United States and the United Kingdom, although other areas are covered. Databases include the complete U.S. Census & Index (1790-1930), vital, church, court, and immigration records. In-library use only
- Family Search: View many databases of records from around the world. This website is a project of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- HeritageQuest Online: Find information on your ancestors in U.S. census from 1790-1930, 22,000 family and local histories, 2 million genealogy and local history articles, Revolutionary War Era Pension & Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files, Freedman's Bank (1865-1874), and more.
- RootsWeb: The Internets oldest and largest FREE genealogical community.
- Find more FREE online genealogy resources by visiting the National Archives
- Consumer Health Complete: Information on health topics, including disease and condition reports, full-text articles and video.
Legal, Business, & Financial
- Gale Legal Forms: Thousands of legal forms available with more forms being added daily. Official, State Specific, Federal, Business, Personal, Real Estate and General forms covering hundreds of legal subjects and issues.
- Morningstar Investment Research Center: Data reports on more than 20,000 securities.
- Reference USA: Directory information for 11 million U.S. businesses and 120 million U.S. households. Search for businesses by SIC code, sales volume number of employees and more. Search for residence directory information by name, location or phone number.
Magazines, Journal Articles, and Newspaper
- Akron Beacon Journal Full-text searching from 1997 to the present
- Academic Search Premier: The world's largest academic multi-disciplinary database, Academic Search Premier provides full text for nearly 4,650 serials, including full text for more than 3,600 peer-reviewed titles. PDF backfiles to 1975 or further are available for well over one hundred journals, and searchable cited references are provided for more than 1,000 titles.
- Consumer Reports.org: Online access to the leading source of expert reviews on products and services.
- Explora for Public Libraries: Easy-to-use features and reliable content from the world's leading magazines and reference books.
- The Plain Dealer Online: Access the Plain Dealer's new electronic edition. In-library use only.
- ALLDATA Repair: A web-based automotive diagnostic resource, including Original Equipment repair manuals and technical service bulletins. In-library use only.
- DrivingTests.org: Free practice driving tests, handbooks, and FAQs about driver education.
Other Available Databases
- Clevnet Research Databases: As a CLEVNET card holder, you can access high-quality databases of full-text periodicals from within your public library and from home. Be sure to have your library card number on hand, as you may need to enter it to gain access to certain databases.
- Ohio Web Library: The Ohio Web Library provides access to its databases to all Ohio residents. Be sure to have your library card number on hand, as you may need to enter it to gain access to certain databases.