Early Barberton Couples
By: Sarah Hays, Local History Librarian
Barberton's founders were often strong and industrious. We frequently hear of the men, but what about the women who supported them?
Earl and Goldie Ralston Mathie were a couple who lived in Barberton in the early 1900s. Earl started a lumber business with his father, Charles W. Mathie, and in 1918, he bought the business from his father and changed the name to the E.G. Mathie Lumber Company. The business was located west of Seventh Street. After Earl’s death in 1948, Goldie operated the business for a short period of time.
Goldie is remembered for her fine art work. The Mathie family lived in the house that his parents had formerly lived in, which was located on Sixth Street. The entire third floor of the spacious home was converted into Goldie’s art studio, where she displayed numerous pieces of her artwork. She also had a studio in Ashland, Kentucky, where she used some of the locals for her models. Goldie passed away in 1975.
On February 20, the Local History Room will be sharing stories of Barberton's earliest couples and their efforts to help the city grow. The program will be held in the Spillette Meeting Room at 2:30 p.m. Light refreshments will be served.