Add one of the 100 Cat's Meow Village keepsakes of the library to your Cat's Meow collection. The keepsakes document the new building facade, where the atrium used to stand. The keepsakes are being sold for $20 at the Customer Services Desk at the Main Library and at the Community Health Branch located on the first floor of Summa Barberton Hospital.
The back of the keepsake includes a brief history of the library, which reads: "The Barberton Public Library first opened its doors April 7, 1903, originally operating out of a rented space in the Whigam-Schubert Block at the corner of Tuscarawas Avenue and Fourth Street. As the library grew, it moved to the former annex of the Barberton Inn, as well as the basement of the Masonic Temple before arriving at its current location at 602 West Park Avenue, directly across from Lake Anna. The most recent renovation of the current building opened to the public on November 13, 2016, and included new Customer Services and Local History spaces. For more than 100 years, the Barberton Public Library has been dedicated to enriching the community as Barberton's most reliable knowledge source. To fulfill its mission, the library will promote independent thought and community interaction by providing services and resources necessary for the individuals to pursue educational, creative, personal, and professional interests."
The Cat's Meow Village was founded in 1982 by artist Faline Jones. Jones and others at her company work to celebrate local, national, and international landmarks - and the signature cat, known as Casper, originated from Jones' love of cats. There are only 100 of these library collectibles, so be sure to get yours while supplies last.